How to Be More Creative, Whoever You Are

Hola chicas and chaps. This month I'm going to have a miniature ramble on how to be more creative. I recently started a new job, hopping back into advertising and I'm flexing rested muscles again. They're being used in other ways, so I wanted to identify approaches to maintain my A game, and consistently – this is tough, but it's what I'm aiming for. Had a slump at work or just wanna be a constant flow of magic? Read on... I've kept it as open as possible, so everyone, even you – yes YOU working in fintech – can reap the rewards of these nuggets. Here's a gift from little old me, to little old you.
Anger is Useful
Use anger as a springboard into productivity. A few weeks ago I attended a talk called "Anger, a force for good" at BMB's offices, London. It was interesting, although not totally orchestrated. Four speakers shared unique societal experiences with anger as the common thread. A core takeaway from Jamie Inman, Head of Planning at BMB was: "Tap into your own angers, explore them and use them to orchestrate change. Move your brand like you hate it". Essentially, look at what p*sses you off at what exists and make it better!
Although I am not sure anger is directly useful, I do believe the core of this tool is; identifying corners of your personality, being self aware about what riles you up, not acting immediately and destructively in ways that hurt people, and using that new energy to push forward positively. The key is in the pause between identifying <–> action.
Go Offline
The results between A) when I get a brief and start putting together a keynote deck immediately, trying to structure it and jot main words on each slide Vs. B) when I relocate myself in an open, inviting, restful space with a pen and sheet of paper, are cosmic.

Computer approach: I'm limited by a volume around a desk and then, my mind is already constrained by how the client will want to see it / how I will present an idea to peers. It formats thinking instantly – puts me in a lane as opposed to encouraging me to get really lost for a bit. Computers switch on 'efficiency', 'performance' and 'order' mode for me... Just as Orange said in the 90s "don't let a mobile phone ruin your movie" – switch the phone for anything digital you're working with.
Paper approach: get the biggest piece of blank paper you can find and just let the unconstrained thoughts flow as soon as you've read the brief. Any edges put parameters on your mind. Write or draw anything, no judgement (because you've made a connection for a reason). Re-read the brief. Do it again. After some good hashing it out time, get up, break, then go back and look at the paper with objective eyes. I've found this technique to be more lucrative. Analog; connecting my mental with the physical, then reporting back to my mental. For more on this, read why writing (poetry) is good for you.

Walk it Out
As those of you who know me know, I love a good walk. Well, because, it just revs up the mental engine. You roam, your mind roams – they are oh so harmonious. This one's simple; don't walk with anything in your ears or hands. Head out without intention or direction for 10mins (or longer!) and see what arises after you've been battling a problem for a while. Think of it as a kick up the arse?
RE: a new advertising campaign, I ponder questions like:
- Who are my audience? What do they love, hate, find funny.
- Wait, what do I love, hate and find funny? < see what comes up and how you could apply these to the brief/problem.
- What cultural ties do any of the keywords in the brief have? What history, media, collective memories can people latch onto?
- What are the emotional triggers involved? Or what emotions are associated with the primary activity? ...could use those as a starting point.

Leave
That's right, take a plane, a train, a car and hop off for a bit. Time out is good. It usually takes me 4+ days alone or a week with another person, to really nourish myself with the distance from my normal routine. If it's a flying visit I never really feel the benefit of objectivity. I love love LOVE the new insight it offers. POW! Something clicks and I return with added meaning to infuse into work. Sweet.
"Lose" your phone
Recently my phone died. I KNOW (total rarity nowadays). I didn't have a compatible charger nearby and I wasn't home. However, it was HOKAY! I used instinctive wayfinding skills, read actual signs and relished the mental space from checking my right-hand-man as often. It felt freeing and off my mind went; roaming into new corners, watching people closely, smelling things, reading urban furniture. Wow, can I hear myself? But yes, "lose" it.
Okay, that's all from me. I hope you take something from this and I hope to pipe up again soon! Have a nice winter.

Search BrandMindBody

Don't go...