5 Ways to Invigorate Your Life

Waddup! I'm back after a blog sabbatical (or so it feels like, which is sad because when I get stuck into writing I just fllowwwwww). I need to proactively routinize blogging... and this really, was the basis for my blog entry – I'd been neglecting the things that make me feel good, productive and enliven my life. Ever felt in need of some life inspiration to get better at being you? AND if you're like me, want a relatively low-effort improvement approach with big pay off? Yeah, cool, you're on the right domain...

Here are five ways to invigorate your life; to foster creativity, to have a more fulfilling routine and to just be your best self!
What's been going on, Alix?: So I've been assessing my lifestyle lately and realised my hobbies have been slippin' off. Adulthood happens, bill-paying occurs, big cities suck you into their colourful, party-filled bosoms, and the many diverse activities that enhanced your life when you were young are harder to squeeze in. I used to draw, make dens, write stories, dress up my sister in pink and glitter, create magazine flow charts (like Which S Club 7 member are you? el-o-el), and play 9483 instruments... *sigh*. At the same time, I've noted my emotional downturns and I think they're related to this lack of play, flexing of my brain in different ways and immersion in 'extra-curricular'. I want to access the euphoria of my childhood self again...

This list was first inspired by 'Three Practices That Will Change Your Life' from Todd Henry's Accidental Creative podcast. My P.O.V, however, looks beyond productivity and creativity, reinforcing happiness and well-being.

5 Ways to Invigorate Your Life:

1. Bite-Sized Learning
Choose something to learn each day that you don't know enough of – just 15 minutes or so if you're stacked. Fancy getting better at cooking? Watch Chef's Table on Netflix (utterly captivating btw!). Want to articulate your holiday plans in German? Download a German radio app or watch a lesson online. My goal before starting work each day is to research the ad scene and discover a new piece of creative work done by a brand. Then, I compile them in a list with a few bullets to consolidate my learning.
Not only could this lead you onto another passion project,  it'll give you more conversation fodder, general knowledge of the shape of the world, AND you'll feel personally accomplished. Get yourself some gold star stickers while you're at it – physically marking your progression is evidence you're evolving.
2. Walking
As an independent soul who likes her own 'down time' to process, I love an amble or a trek at all hours of the day. I walk to and from work daily (7 miles) and this is when random bouts of inspiration hit, ideas start to unravel and solutions arise.  Plus it's a kind of meditation; focus on your movement and subconsciously absorb the surroundings (it's GREAT if you want to up your orienteering skills for when Armageddon hits and 4G cuts out). TRY IT? It'll wake you up, kickstart your body and energy flow!
3. Slowness
Undistracted, disconnected time out. Look at something (fairly simple, pleasant and wholesome) without expectation for a few minutes and fully appreciate that experience. It's REALLY HARD to concentrate nowadays with our declining attention spans thanks to the mobile phone army. And this pause is a really important exercise (a pelvic floor equivalent for the mind perhaps?). I would recommend flowing water, steam rising from a kettle, leaves blowing in the wind, or even someone doing something crafty with their hands. This has therapeutic qualities, trains you to engage in something that isn't a screen and helps you to be mindful (a.k.a connect with yourself and grow awareness). Mental relief can stir creativity!
4. Stranger Connection
Meet or talk to someone different to you. Heck, start a conversation with a barista beyond "Hi, can I get a latte please?". Pay someone a compliment, ask a better question, say hello to a pedestrian crossing your street. This has a few benefits: fostering connection with people in the places you frequent – human-to-human contact will up your well-being and make you feel part of something bigger. It can improve confidence in social situations, communication skills and encourage you to think in a different light. The best outcome is that you hear a fascinating story (from a guy in Starbucks, a former stunt man who made 20,000 sky dives and was in James Bond [yes this is a true story]), and that's pretty neat!

5. Reflecting
I probably covered this in '1. Learning'... But anyway, consolidate your experience of each day. What happened?, what did you learn?, how did you feel? and what could have been better? etc. Go H.A.M – whatever comes out when pen hits paper. I do this when I leave for fresh air at lunch and think about the past 24 hours. Just 15 minutes of scribbling and aims. If you fit this into an empty time slot rather than swapping other plans for it, it'll be easier to maintain. (Read here Why Writing (Poetry) Is Good For You).

I hope this sparks some mental movement and ups the ante a little.
Enjoy the ride, amigos!

Search BrandMindBody

Don't go...