The Search for Serenity & a Wholesome Life Pt 1

As I embark on a 'journey of self' once again (see Australia 2014), I'm starting a blog series called 'The Search for Serenity & A Wholesome Life'. It will contain pit-stop learnings about this topic, taken from time alone in new places, detaching from the norm and expectations, and adjusting to novel experiences. I'm moving abroad, looking inwards and interviewing people along the way. What drove me to this change? I recognised something was up and was just ignoring the inevitable. Now I seek:
A) What stimulates and moves me enough to wake up in the morning (I seemed to have lost this...).
B) To understand how to maintain a lifestyle I enjoy – not 'make-do' with extreme ups and downs of daily life.
C) To fight the norm and what we're 'expected to do' at this age, and accept in myself, that I yearn for something different...
Read on to see how I'm starting this 27-year-old Alix chapter...
It's a couple of weeks before I go... This new start seems easier than last time; I know what emotions I am going to feel, I know how to be alone, and my mindset is more positively-tuned. If you've ever wanted to, or want to, leave the life you have behind for something you're not sure of yet, you might recognize yourself in what follows... Here are some key themes that confirm why I'm off:

Living the longest, best life possible
The Ted Talk podcast, Fountain of Youth discusses and confirms that a long, happy life is possible! Their stories concluded that it's about forging a lifestyle which interweaves; fulfillment, health, mental wealth, mindful movement, achievement, purpose, a more tangible relationship with the earth, and optimism. It's all rooted in IKIGAI – a concept I explored in 2017 about the latest, adopted lifestyle trends; Westerners are taking precedent from Asian cultures that belong to some of the longest-living citizens on the planet. Their common ground? Pure authenticity and a humble existence, without the constant battle against time...
Wellbeing isn't all organic veg, yoga and limiting sugar...
It should be thought more of as 'being well'. The definition began as a somewhat restrictive lifestyle term that bastardized common eating habits and slashed indulgence. Now it seems to be acquiring a new meaning... An example: you can't deny that a cube of chocolate melting in your mouth at 3pm on a work day isn't heavenly. It brings emotional satisfaction – a boost – isn't that feeling and being well? I also think that wellbeing encompasses accepting yourself rather than constantly trying to change yourself, based on unrealistic and societal expectations. For me, it means being fine with my sexuality, how my body looks and reacts to what I do with it, and my very wide-ranging emotional landscape (which can be turbulent - granted - but blesses me with a great capacity for empathy!). It took so much energy trying to be something else, and now I finally feel 'well' in myself, now. So, in my short; allow yourself life's pleasures and create an INDIVIDUAL definition of wellbeing.
Mobile/internet consumption is polluting our minds...
One adult thing I've learnt over the past few years – avoid screen time that doesn't serve you (constant swiping, tapping, mindless scrolling). Research says so too! Imagine the time you could accumulate and put towards learning an instrument or drawing?! SO much time wasted comparing ourselves to others, filling voids or being addicted to digital platform features. Adrien Brody explains our declining use of original thinking AMAZINGLY in Detachment. He links our diminishing imaginations to objects *cough devices cough* that too easily provide us with answers...
(Watch the scene here)
The Ted Talk 'Why Our Screens Make Us Less Happy' also divulges that, unlike a newspaper with an end page, our screen-based news feeds are endless... dangerous! Maybe it's time we think about setting up own stopping cues; check these useful apps from insights site, Cassandra.

Nature helps to inspire and I'm heading there
Unlike digital things, going outside provides fresh insight and inspiration. Psychology Today outlines that "...nature acts like a reboot for the overloaded brain. Modern life is constantly bombarding our mind with information and distractions. This makes it nearly impossible to hear the creative whispers of our inner mule over such mental noise. By removing these distractions, our mind is freed to wander..." This, and open air unconsciously stimulating our minds to think more openly, makes this ideas lark just flow...
(Photography: Anna Boyiazis)

Notice what doesn't serve you and cull it
Lots of things in our lives start as a great idea or stimulus, then become habit or fade so much so into our subconscious, that eventually, we don't even recognize the value of it (i.e. your job, morning routine, what's in your weekly shop etc.). The Think Clearly podcast 'Quitting too soon or staying too long?' by Mathias Jakobsen, discusses a new perspective on life. To the above, he says "trust your instinct. Does it feel wrong?", it's not about "quitting too soon, it's about quitting as soon as possible". I'd agree! I've now ceased to care as much about what people think of my life decisions (which formally kept me in the wrong situation for too long). If you get odd feelings, address them – spring clean with your honest inner voice. Took me long enough, but I feel HELLA lighter these days (thank you age and wisdom).
Why and when to say 'YES' and 'NO'
A great way to have a more fulfilling life is to 'ask yourself these questions before saying “yes” or “no” to anything', according to Fast Company. It's a great tool to preserve or explore your sense of self. Here are some snippets, but read it in full for more impact.




A final reminder to PLAY: 
when we grow, when we walk down the street, when we spread our toast, and when we speak to one another.
Stay tuned for following 'feels' and an evolution on the above...
x

Search BrandMindBody

Don't go...