How To Dress Yourself Out Of A Bad Mood

As humans we get into ruddy bad moods on a regular basis and Londoners especially will know EXACTLY where I'm coming from (I met some Canadians earlier this year and gosh their constant happiness auras are infectious?!). English society is hinged on complaining, saying 'f*ck' a lot, acquiring wrinkles on public transport and absorbing ZERO vitamin D from our exotic weather...
With this building to the gloom of our internal woes, you've got a WHOPPING BAD MOOD. I caught one recently when waking up and getting ready for work... However I decided to trick myself out of it and this is how it went... How to Dress Yourself Out Of A Bad Mood...

(^ this guy knows. He dressed to impress the hell outta 'Murica)
It's all about psychology. Your mind is the root of your being and the control centre of your actions, energy, behaviour, mannerisms, reactions etc. (it goes on). So something has p*ssed you off, sunken deep, your mind logs it and you wake up feeling gnarly before proceeding to squash your mum's sympathetic attempts with passive aggression.

How Do We Change This? 
We can see ourselves being highly unreasonable due to treading in yesterday's dog sh*t with our new shoes, or Wayne from the post office not sending our letter 1 minute after mail close... but we indulge in the bad mood and do weird sh*t we're not always proud! (QUOI?!) LET'S CATCH IT BEFORE WE ACT.

My solution? Dress yourself out of it.

On that occasion, I wasn't focused, I slept badly (which always sets me up unfavourably for the day) and the previous day wasn't all that dandy either. All in all, I wanted to wallow. And because I didn't work out that morning (trading it in for an extra shut-eye) I couldn't sweat it off. The answer lied in smart heeled boots, a long statement coat, something that fitted to my figure, high neck, washed hair and good make up. I felt female and chose an outfit that would be noticeable.

Cause and Effect(s): 
1. Height, elongated and tiiiiighhhttt calves giving off a leggy impression a.k.a PRESENCE.
2. My boots sounded when I walked – audible statement.
3. Patterned outer layer; eye-catching, shows an extravert tendency and a lack of fear of attention. It DEMANDS attention in fact.
4. A fitted body piece (dress, skirt, trousers) to celebrate curves and a confidence in 'self.' It is very empowering owning the clothes you wear...no hiding away in 'baggy.'
5. Make-up paints on a facade and my professional persona. It says 'I am not here to peace out with my baby face, but you'll now see me as an older woman, because make-up adds on some years.' a.k.a sets a level of respect and ensures people will address me a certain way (not as the ten year old I look).
6. The scent from my shampoo + a woody, sensuous perfume triggers fond memories (the times I wear it I feel my best, about to go out and own the d'floor. Perfume choice is reflective of my mind state) AND concocts a more mature image for others to perceive.

Overall, I looked sassier, so I felt sassier, so I acted sassier, so I thought in a sassier way. GET.READEEEH.FOR.MEHHH.

This is a perfect example of what BRAND MIND BODY stands for. People perceive your brand; what you're made of and what you give out, which is composed of your mind and bodyThis TED x NPR podcast on Playing with Perceptions outlines that by being aware of how we come across, we can adapt according to where we want to be.



So dress your way out of a bad mood...or eat, sing, cookdraw or punch (in a gym with a bag). Identify what activities better your mindset and do 'em!


How can this work for jobs?
Feeling worried or under-equipped for a job interview? MAKE yourself confident. My step dad works from home a lot. Because he is not in a more upright office environment, he makes important calls standing up whilst assertively pacing the room (vs. sitting down in PJs on the sofa). THIS is how behaviour can affect your mental state and help you personify confidence; pre-hype your energy!

Your body language is also a tell-tale into your mood and/or thoughts in person. If you're intimidated by another, it shows. You may have reclining posture, closed legs or arms whilst sitting with them, or your voice tone may be lighter than it is around your friends. Amy Cuddy TED talks of how 'Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are.' She says body language might even have an affect on your chances of success...


Work Relationships
Do you ever wonder why you feel smaller or intimidated around some people and around others you feel naturally dominant, regardless of age and status? Well this all comes down to your relationship dynamic and energies given off from the two of you based on non-verbals (i.e. body language, tone and volume of voice, stance, hand gestures, stance, appearance etc.), your initial perception of that person. Observe it next time you have exchanges with people at work...

By being AWARE of how you come across and portray yourself, you can change it to make you feel LESS intimidated by Theresa in accounts. Or mirror someone you aspire to!
To Conclude:
In response to a bad thought affecting how you feel, you usually 'act.' Reverse this: 'Do' to change your feeling, to alter your mental state! Magic.

Search BrandMindBody

Don't go...